Frequently Asked Questions

Is what you offer similar to a University Course?

You will work towards the same qualifications as a postgraduate university led programme. The main difference is, on a school based programme you will spend significantly more time training ‘on the job’ in a school.  During our training programme, you will spend 4 days a week in school and 1 day a week completing professional studies alongside our other trainees.  Professional Studies sessions may take place in a face to face setting or online. 

What does PGCE stand for?

PGCE stands for Post Graduate Certificate in Education

What does QTS stand for?

QTS stands for Qualified Teacher Status

What is the difference between Core SCITT and School Direct Fee Paying route?

The structure of the training year for these two routes into teaching is exactly the same. The only difference is the way in which the government allocates the training places.

Can I use my overseas qualifications?

Yes, you will need to have your qualifications certified by NARIC ( to confirm they are equivalent to the required UK qualifications.

Do I need both English and Maths GCSE at grade C/4 or above?

Yes you will need both English Language and Maths GCSE at grade 4 or above. If you wish to train as a Primary Specialist you will also need Science at grade 4 or above. If you do not hold these qualifications at the time of application it is possible to take an equivalency test ( but you will need to have them before you start the training programme.

Can I specialise in Special Needs?

Yes, we offer an SEN specialist route at Primary level. Trainees on this route will spend 2 terms in an SEND setting and one term in a mainstream school.  In addition, all our Primary and Secondary trainees have the opportunity to spend a full week in an SEN school as part of their training programme and following this placement, some trainees opt to undertake an extended, second placement in an SEN setting.

How do I write my teacher training personal statement?

When you submit your application you will need to write a personal statement. This is your opportunity to make a big impression, but the available space is limited to 4,000 characters (UCAS) or 600 words (on the DfE Apply Portal). A good statement will highlight your personal attributes and how you will bring these into teaching. You should try and make your statement stand out and avoid using clichés and generic statements that do not tell us something about you as an individual. You will find more information on our application form page (hyperlink

Is teacher training paid?

We have a limited number of school direct salaried training places at Primary level. Candidates applying for the salaried route should demonstrate a high level of experience leading training or classes and excellent national curriculum knowledge.

When do I need to apply for teacher training?

This year you can apply to us via UCAS Teacher Training or via the DfE Apply for Teacher Training portal.  Applications open on 13th October and we will close in early June 2021, to allow time to ensure we have everything in place for trainees the following September.  The later you apply in the academic year, the smaller the pool of possible placement schools available to you.

Can I retake teacher training?

If you fail to demonstrate that you meet all the Teacher’s Standards by the end of the training year you would not be eligible to train to teach again in the future. However, should you withdraw from a programme before the end of the year you would be able to revisit training at a later date.